Louisiana Flooding Housing Assistance: Office from the Governor

Here is a mix of housing information and repair from the office our Louisiana Governor, John Bel Edwards. Many of us are still in the process of requesting information from FEMA, gutting and cleaning up.

Many have requested more information to help neighbors and loved ones. 



FEMA INDIVIDUAL ASSISTANCE (FEMA cash grants to eligible individuals to help them rent temporary housing, repair or replace their home, and other needs such as: disaster-related medical/dental expenses, funeral expenses, child care, transportation, moving and storage, personal property loss; www.disasterassistance.gov; 1-800-621-3362)

NATIONAL FLOOD INSURANCE PROGRAM (NFIP) (flood insurance for those who had pre-existing applicable policies)



Transitional Shelter Assistance Program (FEMA direct-pay hotel rooms)

-  Louisiana Housing Corporation Help to Find House/ Apartment to Rent 



Manufactured Housing Units (larger mobile homes than old FEMA trailers)

Multi-Family Lease and Repair Program (FEMA funding to repair properties not in commerce so that eligible FEMA applicants may be placed in the rental units)

SHELTER AT HOME PROGRAM (basic emergency repairs up to $15,000 in eligible homes to create a safe space where a homeowner can live safely in their own home while rebuilding) 1-800-927-0216 OR shelterathome.la.gov



Homeowners can borrow up to $200,000 at as low as 1.56 % interest rate, term of up to 30 years, to repair or replace their primary residence, and up to a $40,000 loan is available for renters/homeowners to replace their contents. 



With the exception of help repairing or replacing their home, both FEMA and SBA offer the same help for renters as they do homeowners. Renters may qualify to receive assistance moving into another apartment appropriate for their family size, as well as some help with transportation, replacing some household contents, such as a bed, dresser, etc. SBA provides renters with up to $40,000 in personal property replacement loans at the same low rates as for homeowners.

D-SNAP (temporary help for low-income eligible households with buying groceries due to lost income or damages following the flooding 1-888-524-3578)

DISASTER UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE temporary monetary assistance to businesses and residents whose employment or self-employment was lost or interrupted as a result of the flooding.



Tax filing and payment relief are available to Louisiana taxpayers whose homes, principal places of business and critical tax records are in areas of the state declared federal disaster areas. The Department of Revenue also has posted to its website a list of frequently asked questions on potential tax issues related to disaster recovery.  



Hotel rooms for eligible survivors paid for by FEMA

What is this?

This is a temporary program for survivors displaced from their primary residence that allows eligible disaster survivors to select from a list of partner hotel rooms.

Who is eligible?

If you were displaced from the storm, have registered with FEMA and selected one of the locations listed below, you may be eligible for help from the TSA program:

  •  Living in a car

  •  Living in a hotel/motel

  •  Living in a mass shelter

  •  Living at your place of employment


How does it work?

When you registered with FEMA and are eligible, then FEMA will automatically call you over the next several days. This FEMA call will be a recorded message telling you that you are eligible and referring you to a website where you will find a list of hotels with available rooms. You can call the hotel where you would like to stay to arrange a room. Upon your arrival and check in, you will provide your registration number and a government ID. Rooms are directly paid through FEMA.

FEMA will contact you throughout your stay to assist you with your future housing plans. Your case will be managed on an individual basis to determine, for example, whether you have received your Individual Assistance money from FEMA and been provided available rental resources that would lead to a more permanent housing solution.


Louisiana Housing Corporation Renting a House/Condo/Apartment

What is this?

This is a website that collects all types of rental property available right now where displaced survivors can go to find a rental property available for rent immediately in your area. It is also a website where property owners who want to rent out their property should list their property. We are encouraging any property owner who has rental property available to please go to this site and list their property. We are also encouraging anyone who has property available to rent to list their property for less than the typical one-year lease, and to consider leasing for a month, or month-to-month basis, etc.

Who is eligible?

While anyone can use this website, we are urging flood survivors from the recent event to go to this website because they can find immediate housing here that will help them move out of shelters. You can use your own private funds, a Section 8 Housing voucher that you already have, or can take advantage of FEMA Individual Assistance money you receive to pay for the monthly rental of these units.

How does it work?

Go to www.lahousingsearch.org. You may select find a rental and then search by location and select the price range in which you are searching for a temporary rental unit. You may also select List a Rental and enter information about a property unit you have available for rent. 



FEMA is offering additional types of housing assistance to eligible FEMA registrants, including:

  •  Mobile homes for up to 18 months (MHUs); and

  •  Housing for up to 18 months in multifamily housing units (apartments) leased by FEMA and

    repaired or improved using FEMA financial assistance.


Manufactured Housing Units Program (MHUs)

These are manufactured homes built according to U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development standards and FEMA contract requirements. These mobile homes can be made available to certain qualified applicants in certain locations, as allowed by FEMA requirements and parish or local zoning.

  • FEMA identifies and calls eligible applicants who meet certain criteria, such as being a property owner with property damages in excess of $17,000 or more, or renters whose rental home was destroyed by the event.

  • FEMA makes a follow-up call to eligible applicants that meet the criteria to find out if they are still interested in obtaining a manufactured home, if they have a zoned sited on their property, or if they are interested in the other site options that FEMA has identified.

  • Once that information has been obtained, FEMA then coordinates with the state, parish, local, and other partners to facilitate the move-in.

  • These manufactured homes range from one- to three-bedroom units and are provided based on the size of your household pre-disaster. They are maintained by FEMA on a monthly basis. FEMA may also provide manufactured homes which are built to Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards for eligible applicants and can provide ramps or platform steps to accommodate accessibility needs.

  • These manufactured homes may be placed on a private site, such as an eligible applicant’s private property, a pre-existing commercial park, or, as a last resort, on a group site approved by local officials and constructed and maintained by FEMA. In addition, the site cannot be located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).


Multi-Family Lease and Repair Program (MFLRP)

Working with state Housing Task Force partners, FEMA identifies potential buildings that, with some FEMA financial assistance, could be fairly quickly and with moderate expense, repaired to go back into commerce, so that they can be offered as temporary housing for FEMA applicants. Then FEMA makes contact with the property owner or landlord, to see if they wish to list their property, or property owners can apply.

Similar programs have worked successfully in both Vermont and Texas. FEMA typically looks to locate and lease larger-scale complexes that are able to serve a considerable number of people in a single location. Each site must have been previously used as multifamily housing and contain five or more rental units. In addition, the site must be able to be repaired within two months and cannot be located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).

  • Under this program, there is no rental cost for the eligible applicant. The repair costs are funded by FEMA and the value of these repairs are deducted from the value of the lease agreement between FEMA and the property owner.

  • FEMA identifies registered applicants in need of a rental property, reviews for eligibility and then connects the eligible applicant to participating property owners.

  • Both the applicant and the property owner sign terms and conditions with FEMA. However, the applicant and the property owner enter into a standard lease agreement to which FEMA is not a party.

  • The property owner cannot subject FEMA applicants to different or additional criteria from other tenants and must comply with Fair Housing requirements. In addition, in cases where FEMA contracts directly with the property owner for repairs, the property owner must fulfill the terms of that agreement.

  • Applicants are required to maintain contact with FEMA and go through a recertification process to determine their continued eligibility. Applicants deemed ineligible for the continued assistance may be given the option to sign a standard lease with the property owner or vacate the rental unit.

  • If you are a property owner and are interested in repairing your rental property and assisting flooding survivors, please call 225-382-1464 or email FEMA at fema-ia-dhops@fema.dhs.gov.


Who is eligible?

Apply for FEMA disaster assistance at 1-800-621-FEMA to be considered for eligibility. To remain eligible to stay in a mobile home (MHU) or in an MFLRP property, applicants must demonstrate a continued housing need and show progress toward a permanent housing solution. FEMA may provide these housing options for up to 18 months following a disaster declaration. In extraordinary circumstances, the State may request an extension.